Sunday, February 12, 2012

Much Done, Much to Think About

What a week, and weekend! Where do I start? As I was speaking with my good friend M earlier I told her that this weekend really has been no rest from the week, the way a weekend should be! Everything is coming down to the final details before the move. We plan to pack up the big truck we're going to use on Friday afternoon, and then on Saturday morning we make the migration to Göteborg!

Because of this I've told my teachers at Korta Vägen that my last day of school will be this Wednesday. Only 3 more days! I need all of Thursday and then part of Friday to finish up what needs done around here, cleaning especially, and last minute laundry. Yesterday J's parents came and helped us with several larger pieces of furniture. We're downsizing from a "3:a," three roomer, or 2 bedroom apartment to a "2:a," two roomer, or one bedroom apartment. That means we can't at all take everything with us! My computer desk we decided to donate to Gengåvan, which is a second hand store where whatever money they make goes to helping the needy. It's basically like what I did with all of my clothes a couple of weeks ago, but that was with a different organization.

We had two pieces of bedroom furniture, a chest or bureau you could say, and a taller shelf type thing, I really am bad at naming furniture apparently. But both pieces J has had since he began university several years ago, we hardly used them, don't have really any space for them, and if anything I'd rather just buy a new chest/bureau for our new bedroom that would match. So! We gave those two pieces to J's parents, his mother wanted them. There was another chest/bureau in our entry hall that was kind of breaking, and it definitely broke when we tried to get it down and out of our highrise apartment, so that ended up just being tossed. Lastly, we won't be able to fit our beloved futon in the new apartment, so that is being held by J's parents for safekeeping until we move (hopefully not too far in the future) to a larger apartment again. As said, we accomplished a lot yesterday!

Not only did we do all of that, but we cleaned and prepared for our final party with friends in celebration of moving to Gothenburg. Nothing wrong with some good company, food, and drinks. This time we had just Swedish friends (mostly J's to begin with but they're mine now, too) over. I kind of see interacting with some of them as almost a game, now, because I see certain people perhaps only twice a year (a couple lives in Stockholm) and they are always so surprised at how my Swedish is coming along. When I speak they're surprised every time because it's usually 5 or 6 months in between, which is plenty of time to make a huge difference in one's language abilities! So of course we were up for a good while last night, and I'm somewhat surprised I didn't sleep in any later than I did! J, however, is still snoozing away.

The big news earlier this week though, takes a bit of explanation and set up. As we're moving to Gothenburg and I've decided to stop attending Korta Vägen, I have opted to start searching for jobs immediately. J ended up realizing that I could actually help him out with his work (don't ask me to go into it, I could explain what he does but it would take another few paragraphs, probably) and so we decided to have a meeting with his boss and two other women at his company's main office in Vara (45 min drive from Skövde, 1 hr 15 min drive from Gothenburg). The boss is a person to go off on his own track, so when we got there the two administrative women who work there thought that I was coming in for a meeting about how to help them out around the office. It seems that J's boss has offered me a job working full time at the office in Vara. The only thing is, as said, it's quite a distance from either place we're living at (Skövde and Gothenburg). What is more, I would probably have to take the train to Vara from Göteborg, so it would take about 2 hours on the way there, and 2 hours on the way back (gotta love those train switches at towns in the middle of nowhere!). So I have a lot on my plate to think about. I'm going back tomorrow afternoon to discuss more concretely what I've decided I think I can live with. I, of course, am ecstatic to have been offered a job (especially since I've been applying for about a month now, with no luck), but at the same time if I accept full time there I will be gone for 12 hours of the day. I may have to go in bargaining with them on a few things. As always, I'll keep you all posted on the proceedings!

It's a beautiful sunny Sunday, and later today we're invited over to J's parents' for lunch/dinner (what would you call eating at 3pm?). But for now, I think I'll work on cleaning up around here from our get together last night.


Ben said...

How exciting, I hope you can talk them into a part time job offer.

Good luck with the move to Göteborg!

Anonymous said...

You've been busy! Thanks for the detailed post, it's nice to hear what you and J are up to. Good luck with the move. Aunt L